Thursday, July 24, 2014

Framed Monogram on Linen

Hello Friends!
 

This is my latest creation, another version of this design. This is the best yet, made from heat transfer vinyl (HTV), cut with the Silhouette, ironed on linen, framed in a $4.97 frame (before tax!) from dd's discounts. There's one little issue though...I'm not sure this the best of all - there might still be another version or two of this design to come. Be patient with me...
 

I edited the design from the original, widening some of the elements a little so that it's easier to 'weed' ('weeding' is the process of removing all of the extraneous pieces of paper/vinyl/whatever from a design, usually done with a good light, tweezers and a good bit of...patience ). I also welded the letters together on the bottom making that text easier to weed, too.


The frame is a lucky happenstance - it's amazing what you can find when you clean closets and nooks - I'm pretty sure it's been 'in storage' for at least 3 years. As I said above, it was $4.97, bringing the total of this project to about $7. And that might be a little on the high side. It looks pretty classy for a $7 project, don't you think?


I ran across these koozies at JoAnn the other day, at a steep 70% discount. I wanted to test how HTV and a hot iron would react with a koozie (koozie, koozie, koo....I can't stop saying it!) Well, I'd say it was average. I may have left the iron a little too long and I may have had the iron too high because something got a little too hot for ol' koozie (apparently koozies aren't as tough as their name implies). The vinyl shriveled a pinch and the iron stuck to one of the koozies a wee little bit. But it was only 2ish seconds. At the most.


So live and learn. I know that I need to be a little more gentle if and when I use koozies again. On the up side - I like the anchor on the blue and I like it very much better than on the pink/plum color.
 

Even though these test koozies got a little burned, they can still perform their duties as neoprene can-hugging coolers. And I'm very thankful for that in the over-100-degree heat we've been enjoying lately!


Stay cool.
 
~ M ~

No comments:

Post a Comment