Monday, August 25, 2014

Patchwork

What a weekend! It flew by - do you feel the same?
 
Time always seems to fly by, though, and the time I imagine it will take to finish projects is never long enough. I think I need some creative time management skills. As in 'how long does it actually take to complete a new design/project from start to finish'? It's just difficult to calculate. On top of that, I've figured out that the first prototype I create is almost never what the final product looks  like.

That's why I'm writing about patchwork today, rather than all of the inventory in my etsy store.

patch·work (pách wùrk)
1) patches sewn together; needlework in which pieces of fabric are sewn together in a decorative way
2) mixture: something made up of many different parts
 
I started sewing a bunch of pieces of fabric together this weekend - remnants of projects, scraps from clothing, and bits and squares from vintage fabric pieces I've hoarded collected throughout the years. I had no plan, because I usually just wing it, and so far, it's turning out rather well. I have no idea what this patchwork will turn into - a pillow or pillows, a quilt top, a table runner, a basket liner? I'm waiting for a sign...








In terms of other projects, I managed to make ONE pillow cover this past weekend, in my beloved ticking (red-and-white!). It's cotton, a nice weight, machine washable, and gets softer with use. I try to use feather/down pillows whenever I can, I like the slouchy, soft, nap-able quality they have. I'm not sure if this pillow's ready for it's debut in the shop yet...I need to let it sit for awhile longer.


I also upcycled some plates this weekend, turning them into mini chalkboards; I added the 'menu' label to dress them up an extra little bit. They're simple and very fun to write on...like most chalk boards. You should try it. They'll be in the etsy shop soon, so you can. I also designed a few things for kitchen organization/prettification; they'll be making an appearance here and in the shop soon, too.
 

 
The handsome fellow in the picture above is Penner who also acts as a photography 'assistant' on occasion. He found his way into our backyard one day and has never left. He's happy to greet every human who ventures into his territory; he doesn't feel at all the same about his fellow felines.
 
And last but not least...it's Giveaway time!
 
There are three prizes to win:
1.) One $10 gift card to JoAnn
2.) One $20 gift card to Home Goods
3.) One pillow of your choice from the Paisley Press etsy store
 
All you need to do to enter is leave a comment on this post. I'll draw names from the comments to determine winners. If you want to leave a comment as Anonymous, please be sure to leave a name in the body of the comment so I'll know who I'm gifting. The giveaway closes at 5 pm Pacific time on Thursday, August 28. Winner(s) will be announced Friday, August 29. 
 
Good luck!
 
~ M ~

4 comments:

  1. very creative chalkboard plates! I am looking forward to seeing your patchwork item when it is completed!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Susan! I'm looking forward to the same!
      Michelle

      Delete
  2. Melissa4:24 PM

    This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Melissa! I feel exactly the same. Patchwork is great but Penner? He's a sweetie! :)

    ReplyDelete