Thursday, July 03, 2014

Pattern-On-Pattern Please!

Hello Friends!
 
 
In keeping with all of the monogram talk around here, lately, I have a fast and easy way to add a cute, quick, and custom touch to your home - and it just happens to be a monogram.

 
I cut this with my Silhouette but I would have been able to do it almost as easily without it - I'll tell you how in a minute. For this project, I entered a 'B' in the type design tool, enlarged it to the size I wanted, filled it with a houndstooth pattern and then sent it to cut. After that was done, I trimmed the backing paper down to fit inside the frame and taped the letter, with two-sided tape, to the backing paper, centering it first. I placed the paper down on the glass, put the backing on the frame and put it up on the mantel for a glamour shot!


Pattern-on-pattern design and decorating isn't for everyone - I know it feels way too busy to some people. I love it, but it SO has to be the right mix to work. These colors go well together - a classic combination - and neither one of the patterns is overbearing. This project took me no more than 5 minutes; you could make several of these monograms in an afternoon, hang them on the wall, and have a custom collection of artwork that not only adds a personal touch, but costs about $25 for everything.

 
Here's how to do it: Get paper: wrapping paper, scrapbook paper, book pages, cardstock. The Dollar Store has lots of wrapping paper for, you guessed it, $1 a roll. You could mix and match patterns, use the same backing for each one and change out the design for the monogram...get creative with yourself. Get frames: thrift stores, garage sales, rummage sales. They can be as little as $1-2 dollars at a thrift store. I suggest, for one wall, 5-7 frames. Get a can of spray paint: You'll need it to spray your frames all one color; I'd do all of mine in matte black. This helps the monogram - or artwork - stand out and become more of the focus. Cut your letters: print your letter in several different fonts and cut them out. Trace the letters on the back of the paper you want to cut - be sure to flip them before you cut - and cut them out. Cut your backing paper to fit your frames, assemble your custom monograms, and hang them on the wall. Pat yourself on the back!
 
 
The picture above is a cheat sheet for some fonts that I have on my machine. They have decorative characters and I can't begin to remember what each character is and in what font it lives. I printed these out, labeled them with the font name and then wrote, for each character, the associated key on the keyboard. Now I can put them in a binder and use them as quick reference for designing.
 
I hope to post tomorrow - check in if you find a quiet spot in your 4th of July celebration. Enjoy the day!
 
~ M ~

No comments:

Post a Comment