Monday, February 10, 2014

Cheerful Cherub

Quite awhile ago, I bought a box of books from a seller on Craigslist. I don't know why this particular ad appealed to me...it's one of only two things I've ever bought from the site but I drove to the address posted and picked up my package. The box contained a treasure of oddities (I was sort of surprised) but my very favorite was a book called The Cheerful Cherub




The Cheerful Cherub was written by Rebecca McCann (doesn't she just look like an author?) and was first published in 1927 with a second printing in 1928. What had started as a daily newspaper column was eventually compiled into this volume. It's beyond cute, beyond clever and most amazing of all, the words she wrote back then are still so relevant for today.

In an excerpt from the preface to the book, Rebecca McCann wrote the following:


 
My favorite line: "The kind of cheerfulness the Cherub is supposed to believe in is really nothing but being interested in living." I love that statement and the sentiment and wisdom she's put into each of these illustrations. 


 Today's wisdom: Don't close your eyes to countless joys around you every day!

The Cheerful Cherub will be making regular appearances around here; the simple insights he has to offer are just too good not to share.


No comments:

Post a Comment